Motivation and Sport
Set 'Learning Behavior' goals (in drop)- 10 mins
Lit circle #1- In your groups, share life lessons and examples of motivation from 'What I talk about when I talk about running'. (20mins)
- After your discussion, write down one idea that really sticks with you/sparks your interest. What would you research to substantiate that idea? Record your ideas in your Reader's Journal.
Intrinsic vs Extrinsic motivation
Connection to passage on pg. 34-35: “I never disliked long distance running…I was able to smoothly incorporate running into my daily life”
Cheating in Sport
What motivates people/teams to cheat?
Human motivation is complex. There are many reason why people choose to behave in certain ways. Sport tends to highlight human behavior and motivation at its best and worst. We often look to athletes and sporting teams to teach us lessons about the value of hard work, discipline and sacrifice but what happens when the desire to win leads to negative behaviors like cheating? From match-fixing and betting scandals to performance enhancing drugs and blood doping, cheating is synonymous with professional sports.
Match-fixing in tennis: Novak Djokovic tells of being offered $200,000 to fix a match
Discuss: What motivates people/teams to cheat?
H/W- 1) Find an article about an incident of cheating in sport that gives some insight into the motivation behind the cheating. Bring the link to class.
2) Read chapters 3-4 of ‘What I talk about…’ In your Reader’s Journal, continue to find examples of motivation/life lessons that Murakami discusses.
No comments:
Post a Comment